Carbon Monoxide Detector

Carbon monoxide detectors save lives.

Carbon Monoxide Detector: Know When You’re in Danger

Carbon monoxide detectors save lives. This is undisputed, so much that the province of Ontario has made CO detectors mandatory in all residential homes. Even if carbon monoxide alarms aren’t mandatory in your area, you should treat them as such.

Request a Quote

Flame of oven gas detector.

What is carbon monoxide (CO)?

Carbon monoxide is created by incomplete combustion of natural gas, propane, heating oil, kerosene, coal, charcoal, gasoline, wood or other biofuels.

The effects of CO exposure include headaches, nausea, dizziness, burning eyes, confusion, drowsiness, loss of consciousness, brain damage and death.

The most dangerous part of CO, and the reason a carbon monoxide alarm is so critical is that the gas is odourless, tasteless and invisible. You’ll never know your house is filling up with it until it’s too late; and for children, the elderly and people with heart or respiratory conditions, too late comes even faster. You'll need a CO detector to be able to detect this gas in your home.

Carbon monoxide at home.

The two main sources of a CO leak at home are non-electric heaters (propane, natural gas or oil) and adjoining garages with remote starting cars that are turned on accidentally. But those certainly aren’t the only sources. Wooden stoves are a common culprit, as are generators, charcoal grills, and blocked chimney flues, which is why you should have your chimney professionally cleaned once a year and regularly get rid of any dust accumulation.

Request a Quote

Family gathers at island bar in kitchen.


Get Started with Securitas Technology Carbon Monoxide Detection